OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:18:48 -0400
        I heard from sixteen others about my rant on the names of Ohio
localities, especially those for birding, and we more or less agree the
most picturequely-named Ohio birding spot has to be Funk Bottoms. I had
overlooked this obvious fact. I believe it deserves inclusion in the
best-of list I offered from other states and provinces.
        I was wrong to say there are no township names used only once in Ohio.
Two were offered to me, both good ones: Put-in-Bay (Ottawa Co.), and Pee
Pee (Pike Co.). Any state would be proud to have these. Certainly the
latter continues a thread of potty humor in such appellations.
        Several people sent amusing names of roads and villages. A resident of
Adams County sent the longest list, from his neck of the woods:
"Catbird, Whippoorwill, Jaybird, Seaman, Peebles, Panhandle,
Squirreltown, Tranquility, Bacon Flats, Lynx, and Sunshine. If you
include 'hollers' we got Soldier's Run, Owl Hollow, Mouth Hollow, Long
Lick, Puntenny Hollow and Moon Hollow." At least one of these,
Panhandle, ranks high in Ohio ornithological history, as the location of
our only record--and the farthest inland in N. America--of a northern
lapwing, fourteen years ago. So rejoice: there are some tasty nuts in
the plain-vanilla list of Ohio place names.
Bill Whan
Clummus