OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2008 17:52:15 -0700
Several Sharp-tailed Sparrows and at least two different
Hello All,

Several Sharp-tailed Sparrows and at least two different LeConte's Sparrows were seen by multiple observers today (Saturday) at the Wake Robin Boardwalk at Mentor Marsh. As you may know, this is prime time here in Ohio for LeContes' Sparrows, but the migration of Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows will fall off sharply after mid-October. The habitat along this boardwalk is a great place to get good looks at both of these rare Ohio species, but patience is required. Best of luck! Here are the directions, which can also be found on the Mentor Marsh Website.

Dan Sanders
Powell, OH

DIRECTIONS to Wake Robin Trail:
From SR 2 in Mentor, go North on SR 44 towards Headlands State Park
But before you get there, get off 44 at SR 283 (Lakeshore Blvd.)
Turn left (west) and go 1 or 2 miles to CORDUROY ROAD
Turn right (north) and go about a mile north thru the Marsh
Just after you come out of the Marsh and all the Phragmites, turn left at the stoplight at Woodbridge Road, there's a fire station on the right here
Drive down Woodbridge Road for about 5 streets until you get to Wake Robin Street going north
Here, there is a parking lot on the south side (left side) of the road where there should be a house
Drive in and park and walk down the trail and into the Marsh
 Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St
Powell, OH 43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous