OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:35:26 -0400
I went by the Godwit pond early in the morning and left at ten with no godwit.  usually it is there by 10.  but it wasn't.  However on my way back from town at noon I stopped by and checked again and it was there.  Looked like it just got there.

While there early in the morning, I saw about 20 meadowlarks in a loose flock.  They were all together then they would separate into pairs then rejoin  on the other side of the pond.

Also saw around 20 savannah sparrows. (At least I think that they were. could some one check the bird ID section of the OOS website to confirm please)

And a highlight for me was getting pictures of 3 Wilson's snipes.  They are over in the tall water weeds over on the north side of the pond.  They are very small and easily overlooked... I saw them because at first I flushed them out.  They stayed in the water weeds though.  I have been seeing them off and on all week but this is the first time I was able to get some decent pictures.

Forgive me for being stupid... but who is this Wilson anyways?  Five birds have the first common name as Wilson's, with a possessive "s".   So I am assuming that there is a Mr./Ms. Wilson out there that loved birds so much that they were named after him/her.''

So could someone clue me in before my Daughter asks me the question. :-)

Thanks and Happy Birding

Steve