OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:13:06 +0000
Greetings birders -

Many thanks to *Kent Miller* for reporting both Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers that he found at Lorain Harbor yesterday with his father. Gabe Leidy called me with news that he had likewise hit the jaeger jackpot at Lorain Harbor this a.m. On the way there, I hit Rocky River, Bradstreet's Landing, Huntington Reservation, and Avon Lake for a quick but fantastic morning of birding. Gabe's journey continued and got even spiffier at Huron Harbor.

To visit Lorain Harbor, access Spitzer Marina on the EAST side of the river (take note that the Route 6 bridge is CLOSED). Park behind the marina in the newly paved lot and walk the cement breakwall straight out to the harbor. This is the same parking area that we all used for birding the Lorain Impoundments this fall. The jaegers were mostly rather distant but were plenty fun to watch as they raised serious heck amongst the Bonaparte's Gull flocks. TAKE A SCOPE IF YOU'VE GOT ONE. You'll need it to scan, scan, scan some more. Look for the classic jaeger "falcon-like" flight - light, quick and powerful; with exploding F-14 dogfight-style attacks on unsuspecting gulls.

Note the numbers of Horned Grebes and Common Loons between Huntington Reservation and Rocky River Park!

LORAIN HARBOR
Purple Sandpiper - 1 (observed rather close, flying in from the east, heading for nearby breakwall)
Pomarine Jaeger - 1
Parasitic Jaeger - 2 (observed simultaneously)
Common Tern - 60+
Bonaparte's Gull - 2000
Ring-billed and Herring Gulls - numerous
Great Black-backed Gull - 3
Common Loon - 6
Red-breasted Merganser - 200+
Pine Siskin - 14
Horned Lark - 12
American Pipit - 2

AVON LAKE
rather slow / some Bonaparte's flocks

HUNTINGTON RESERVATION (scope needed)
Horned Grebe - 130
Common Loon - 80 (largest flock of 16)
American Black Duck - 4
Hooded Merganser -2
Red-breasted Merganser - 800
Bonaparte's Gull - 300

CAHOON MEMORIAL PARK
Horned Grebe - 35
Common Loon - 40
Red-breasted Merganser - 200

BRADSTREET'S LANDING
Horned Grebe - 35
Common Loon - 22
Surf Scoter - 8
Black Scoter - 1
Ruddy Duck - 4
Red-breasted Merganser - 1000+

ROCKY RIVER PARK
Horned Grebe - 30+
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Common Loon - 86 (largest flock of 22)
Lesser Scaup - 8
Red-breasted Merganser (2000+ likely includes part of roving flock between here and Bradstreet's)
Bufflehead - 6
Bonaparte's Gull - 1200
Pine Siskin - 8

Jen Brumfield