OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:16:21 -0500
The monthly census on Kelleys Island was conducted today by myself and Paul
Fleming.  Everyone else backed out because it was too mild ;>)  Census was
run from 0730 to 1300 EST.  Temperature began at 52 and got up to 60 before
the rain started.  A total of 60 species were observed of 27340
individuals.  The average for a November census is 55 species and 11328
individuals so we were above average.  This the 12th November census and we
have record 106 species.  Snow Goose and Forster Tern were new for a
November count.  The number of individuals was inflated because of 19000+
Double-crested Cormorants moving from Canada into Sandusky Bay via Kelleys
Island.  This movement has been going on for several weeks and the numbers
appear to be growing.  It is impressive to see early in the morning.

126      Comoon Loon
8          Horned Grebe
19033   Double-crested Cormorant
1          Great Blue Heron
2          Snow Goose (blue morph)
154      Canada Goose
2          Gadwall
9          American Black Duck
254      Mallard
3          Redhead
55        Greater Scaup
7          Lesser Scaup
3          Black Scoter
539      Bufflehead
17        Common Goldeneye
187      Red-breasted Merganser
1          Bald Eagle (adult)
1         Cooper's Hawk (adult)
1         Red-tailed Hawk (adult)
2680    Bonaparte's Gull
1975    Ring-billed Gull
292      Herring Gull
500      Gull species
1          Forster's Tern
4          Mourning Dove
1          Belted Kingfisher
2          Red-bellied Woodpecker
1          Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
21        Downy Woodpecker
1          Hairy Woodpecker
7          Northern Flicker
1          Blue Jay
37        American Crow
22        Horned Lark
72        Black-capped Chickadee
11        Brown Creeper
11        Carolina Wren
2          Winter Wren
29        Golden-crowned Kinglet
1          Ruby-crowned Kinglet
6          Hermit Thrush
245      American Robin
363      European Starling
27        Cedar Waxwing
4          Yellow-rumped Warbler
27        Northern Cardinal
1          Eastern Towhee
1          Chipping Sparrow
7          Fox Sparrow
1          Swamp Sparrow
108      White-throated Sparrow
15        Dark-eyed Junco
51        Red-winged Blackbird
2          Rusty Blackbird
126      Common Grackle
2          Brown-headed Cowbird
3          Purple Finch
75        House Finch
11        Pine Siskin
97        American Goldfinch
94        House Sparrow

The Erie Island Christmas Count will be run on December 14.  Contact John
Pogacnik if you are interested in helping.  I will be on Kelleys Island,
Lisa Brohl will be on South Bass Island, and others will be on Pelee
Island.  I am sure any would like help.  If someone could get to North Bass
Island, I am sure it would be interesting.

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio