OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:41:29 +0000
Greetings birders -

Today, Sun the 23rd, I have a single Chipping Sparrow coming to my ground feeding area in Sharon Center (Medina Co.). This bird is late; although a small handful of Chippings may overwinter in the state.

Yesterday, Saturday Nov 22nd, my father Dave, and I birded from Burke Lakefront Airport to Lorain Harbor, then swung south to Oberlin Reservoir and Caley Reservation in Lorain County. Highlights included one of the Snowy Owls at Burke, a flyby Long-tailed Duck and distant jaeger species (likely Parasitic) at Avon Lake, and the sheer number of waterfowl and gulls on the lakefront.

A massive movement of Red-breasted Mergansers at Lorain Harbor was noted, as was an equally large movement at Avon Lake. Ironically, the mergs at Lorain were pushing EAST, while the throngs at Avon were pushing WEST. Clearly a nice big pile of Red-breasted Mergansers is staging between Lorain and Avon, somewhere.

WENDY PARK, CLEVELAND
Bonaparte's Gull - 2,000
Ring-billed Gull - 5,000
Ruddy Duck - 3
Pied-billed Grebe - 1

ROCKY RIVER PARK - a stunning Red Fox, walking quite leisurely on the beach, was definitely the highlight.
Redhead - 4
Bufflehead - 38
Lesser Scaup - XXX
Bonaparte's Gull - fewer than last week; numbers in the low hundreds.
Bald Eagle - single adult

AVON LAKE POWERPLANT
Long-tailed Duck - 1 close female flyby heading west
Black Scoter - 3 birds trailing a flock of mergs
Red-breasted Merganser - 10,000 (mostly distant; at least 100 or so birds spread through the actual harbor)
Snow Bunting - single bird in the upland grassy and beach areas.

LORAIN HARBOR - any excellent area to scan through massive numbers of gulls.
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Bonaparte's Gull - 6,000
Ring-billed Gull & Herring Gull - XXXX

LORAIN COUNTY AIRPORT