OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:01:02 -0500
        Don't know why, I just feel like celebrating today! One thing I'd like
to share in this spirit comes from BirdChat. This venerable mailing
list, nowadays often dominated by self-serving posts, still is worth
checking from time to time. For those interested in bird names, the
non-AOU-affiliated (but still linked to by the AOU pages) "darwinpage"
site that displays the older English and scientific names of North
American birds has receded into obscurity. But a BirdChatter found a new
URL for it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050212201145/http://members.aol.com/darwinpage/zoo/AOUmenu.htm
courtesy of 'wayback machine,' a Web site that saves useful sites from
oblivion; good for them.  The darwinpage does contain some errors, so
check out information you plan to publish, but it is still the most
convenient  source of this sort of information.
Best of birds to all, and hope for the future,
Bill Whan
Columbus