OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:45:56 -0800
Yesterday 11/11 I was lucky enough to be at the right spot twice when calling flocks of tundra swans flew over, headed SE.  In the morning 17 went right over home here in Poland Twp., as I was out feeding the birds (there's some karma).  Later on 60 passed over L. Milton right when I arrived to scan waterbirds by the dam.  Sensing it was gonna be a good day in Mahoning Co., I searched around L. Milton and came up with 9 Am. black ducks, 6 c. goldeneyes, 12 hooded mergansers, 55 killdeer, 8 dunlin, white-rumped sandpiper (excellent find by Greg B), 175 Bonaparte's gulls, red-headed woodpecker, and e. bluebirds.  Elsewhere in the county were hooded mergansers, ruddy duck, pied-billed grebes, 5 red-tailed hawks, Am. kestrel, and n. flicker.  I went over to Berlin Res. next; it was pretty dead other than a dozen great blue herons and more Bonaparte's gulls.  I continued on to West Branch SP in Portage Co.  There weren't any shorebirds at all there,
 just a couple more great blue herons.  Last stops were at Walborn Res. in Stark Co.  Only thing of interest there was 22 killdeer in an ag field.  Returned home, looking in vain for a shrike along the way.  Later, Craig