OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
"Shaw, Allison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shaw, Allison
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:39:20 -0500
I'm sure most readers are getting tired of the Long-tailed Duck
postings, but I thought I'd add that she is still here at Sharon Woods
Metro Park at 2pm on Thursday 11/13. This is at least 10 days in very
shallow Schrock Lake!  The weather is a bit balmier than it has been the
past week, which makes for more comfortable birding while sitting at the
picnic tables.

The duck has moved her location on the lake - I thought she had moved on
completely!  The past 9 days, she has been on the far right side (east
side) of the lake but today she was in the far left cove (west) on the
opposite side of the lake mixed in with 12 Wood Ducks.  You will have to
look for a long time because she dives a lot and is under for a long
time. Just look for the white (there were some Hooded Mergansers out
there a few days ago so a scope may be necessary.)

Thanks to all who have visited our park for the first time and those who
travelled so far! I know this has been a life bird for many visitors and
some have taken some really great photos.

Once again, directions if googling/mapquesting: Sharon Woods Metro Park,
6911 S. Cleveland Ave., Westerville, OH 43081

The park is located north of I-270 off of Cleveland Ave. North exit.
Through Schrock Road intersection (CVS and Speedway) and turn left into
the park at the traffic light. It's just across from St. Ann's Hospital.

Keep on the main park road until you reach Schrock Lake on the right (1
mile from Cleveland Ave.) Parking for best viewing: park in the lot that
has the circular turnaround at the end. Begin at the dock on the far
left side of the lake (with the bulletin board) and duck should be
visible in the cove straight off of (north of) that dock. If not, move
to the next fishing dock to the right.

Map of the park:

http://www.metroparks.net/MapSharonWoods.aspx
<http://www.metroparks.net/MapSharonWoods.aspx>

Metro Parks information:

www.metroparks.net <outbind://3/www.metroparks.net>

Allison M. Shaw
HUB Naturalist
Sharon Woods Metro Park
Mailing address: 1069 W. Main Street
Westerville, OH  43081
office: (614) 865-4507
fax: (614) 865-4509
www.metroparks.net <http://www.metroparks.net/>
P Go Green. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.