OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:24:46 -0500
I stopped at Miller Park about 3pm to practice with my new digiscoping
camera (still need practice based on the results) and saw an adult and a
juvenile gull that might be California's.  Comments from those-in-the-know
would be appreciated.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/MillerParkSheffieldLakeOH111308#
<http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/MillerParkSheffieldLakeOH111308>

Sibley describes the adult with a black and red bill spot (you have to zoom
in to see it) and Peterjohn  (The Birds of Ohio) says they show up along the
central basin of Lake Erie about this time of year but in small numbers and
usually in company of Ring-billed and other gulls.

Sibley describes the first-year juvenile to have a "pink-based" bill (zoom
to see this) but otherwise looks like juvenile Herring (all black bill).

Other birds at Miller Park were lots of Ring-billed and Bonaparte's, several
Herring and about 6 Common Loons (Big Foot Pictures! - sorry!).  A few
Mallards in the boat launch area.

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH