OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:36:33 -0500
Today was the best flight of the year for me.  There was a great variety of
ducks and gulls with a number of rarities.  Two harlequin ducks passed by to
the west.  The first was a single and appeared to be a female.  The second
was amongst a group of 6 bufflehead and was a young male.  Two jaegers
passed by heading west.  One was identified as a parasitic and the second
was further out and was not identifiable.  The immature kittiwake passed by
heading west around 9:30 and less than ten minutes later another one passed
by.  Some birds were hanging around feeding and I am assuming there was only
one bird, but there may have been two.  The glaucous gull was a young bird
(1st/2nd year) that passed overhead.  The common tern was unusual also.  I
rarely get any terns after early September.

I quit watching at 10:30 because we had guests over.  I tried occasionally
to see if anything was moving later in the day, but snow made visibility
next to impossible.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
November 16, 2008, 700-1030
Weather- cloudy w/ light snow
Winds- W 25-30+, Temp- 40-39 F
Barometer- 29.84-29.87,
Humidity-67-68, Dew point- 30-31
Waves- 10-12 feet, Flight direction- west

American black duck   2
Redhead   3
Lesser scaup   12
HARLEQUIN DUCK   2