OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:57:53 -0500
All,

Rick Asamoto and John Habig found two Cave Swallows (CASW) at Rocky Fork
Lake at the north beach and marina area on the north side of the lake,
yesterday, Sunday, 11/16/08.  This area is east of the camp ground.  The
birds were found at the very end of the road at the circle by the
lake-shore.  John called me at about 1:00 pm yesterday, and I drove over
to see them, hoping for some photo documentation.  I arrived at 2:00 -
2:15 pm, and stayed for about an hour, leaving at about 3:20 pm.  I saw
two birds-an adult bird and a young bird of the year.  The birds showed
a light colored collar, a buffy to orange rump and square tail depending
upon how the birds held their tail in flight.  The throat of the adult
bird was orange with some dark along the lower edge of the orange throat
that was either shadow or streaking that CASW shows.  The throat was not
dark like a Cliff Swallow (CLSW).  The young bird of the year had a
lighter almost whitish throat.

The photos that I got are not good quality photographs but show the
field marks that I mention above.  The light conditions on Sunday
afternoon were very poor.   It was quite cloudy and dim.  The birds were
quite far away, 75 to 100 yards most of the time.

Hopefully Rick or John will also post their findings.  Rick also tried
to photograph the birds.  They told me that they saw two additional
birds further east on Rocky Fork Lake at the same time I was viewing the
two birds that I tried to photograph.  So, there were at least four
birds present.

My attempts at photo-documentation can be found on the Ohio Birding
Forum in the Members Photo Gallery at

_http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2718#p2718_

http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2718#p2718

Jay