OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:48:38 -0800
I had some good luck at area lakes today.  An imm. GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE was with Canadas at Evans L., along with c. goldeneye, 165 hooded mergansers, a common merganser, 40 ruddy ducks, pied-billed grebes, bald eagle, 50 Am. coots, 400 ring-billed gulls, herring gulls, 125 Am. crows, and a flock of 22 snow buntings.  At Pine L., a snow goose (white adult) was with a flock of ~100 Canadas which were mostly "lesser" sized.  Also there were Am. black ducks, gadwalls, 16 buffleheads, hooded mergansers, 100 ruddy ducks, a tundra swan, common loon, bald eagle, and Am. kestrel.  Seen elsewhere in E Mahoning Co. near home base in Poland Twp. the last couple of days:  hooded mergansers, wild turkeys, sharp-shinned hawk, Cooper's hawks, red-shouldered hawk, red-tailed hawks, a killdeer, red-bellied woodpeckers, yellow-bellied sapsucker, n. flicker, Carolina wrens, e. bluebirds, Am. robin, cedar waxwings, numerous dark-eyed juncos, Am. tree and song
 sparrows.  Shallow-water areas at wetlands around here are freezing up--this is the earliest this has happened in quite awhile, it seems.  There was at least some ice about everywhere I looked except the Mahoning River.  Anyone seeking wild geese in this area should be aware that we have our share of barnyard/domestic/feral/hybrid geese (and ducks) around here.  Later, Craig