OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:02:18 -0500
Good evening all. The story behind this sighting is a little unusual, and I wasn't even going to post it on the list because I didn't think I would ever see this bird again. After work Monday I stepped outside to do feeder maintenance and as usual I saw and heard birds flying off, but I kept hearing flapping wings coming from a little azalea just outside the door . The closer I got to the bush the more frantic the flapping became. I was surprised to see a small bird hung up near the base of the bush. I then reached down and carefully lifted the bird out and said "Oh my god! It's a warbler---no, it's a VIREO! I could hardly believe I was standing in my yard in November with a live, living and breathing vireo in my hands. Fortunately, even though it was very feisty, I was able to see all the details I needed to identify it as a Philadelphia. I briefly thought about trying to get a picture but my camera was in the house and I certainly did not want to stress it any more than it
 already was. Then it got away from me anyway.
Then I spent the rest of the evening pondering things like why was it still here, what is it eating, will it make it through the night, will the upcoming weather permit it to finish it's migration? I really did not expect to see it again especially after the weather we had on Tuesday. However, Ronnie and I both had today off and the birding in our yard was excellent!? Unbelievably we found a Philadelphia Vireo foraging in the Bayberry, Arrowwood viburnum and Snowberry (Symphoricarpos alba), put a scope on it and had excellent views. I tried for a picture , but it was very active. I think our presence made it nervous and it went into some tree tops and we lost it. We are assuming it was the same bird I saw Monday.? If it shows up tomorrow we are going to leave it alone and try for a picture from inside the house.
Now for the moral of this story: Plant native! The best thing we have ever done is plant native shrubs , trees, flowers and "weeds". Food, shelter and nesting habitat. The rewards are priceless!

Shari Jackson and Ronnie Macko
Northeast Stark County