OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:44:57 +0000
Greetings Shari and Ohiobirds -

By now Shari has undoubtably viewed the Philadelphia Vireo to great extents, but, I wonder if it's possible this bird may actually be an Orange-crowned Warbler? Philadelphia Vireo is a late fall migrant, and surely some late summer/fall migration songbirds will rarely linger into November and December (i.e. winter records of Summer Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Cape May Warbler, western hummingbird strays, etc.). Among our more regularly-overwintering (not common by any means, however) small insectivores with dull yellow/greenish plumage and vaguely patterned faces is the Orange-crowned Warbler, which is relatively hardy and sometimes appears at backyard feeding stations (suet) and travels with resident busy flocks of chickadees/titmice/nuthatches. By "more-regularly" I mean to say this species would undoubtably be a more-likely candidate, but it is not an immediately obvious choice, since it too is a species that high-tails it out of our region for more southerly wintering haunts.

Orange-crowned Warbler can show paler lines on the face (slight eyebrow), but certainly not as bold as Philadelphia Vireo. Bill size differs as well; with vireo bills being heavier and a tad more blunt, among other characters such as general size/shape/behavior. If the bird is acting VERY chickadee-like, I would add another "check" towards the OC Warbler camp.

However, this is without seeing any photos, and going solely by Shari's given descriptions.
Sounds really interesting!

Hope you can snap some photos Shari, even if they're blurry!

best of birding -
jen