OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:28:53 -0500
I appreciate Jen's thought process on this as I have already considered that possibilty. Ever since I had that bird in my hands I have gone through every field guide and birding book we have (which is a lot!) and still believe the beak is a vireo beak. As far as behavior goes I did read in the Audubon Society's? Encyclopdia of North American Birds (John K. Terres) under feeding habits for this species that it "moves about very actively, often hangs upside down, chikadeelike---" and that it will eat "some fruit--bayberries, rose hips and wild grapes". So that made me feel better about my identification, because I will have to say my only real experience with this species is at places like the boardwalk at Crane Creek and brief looks at singing males in places like Maine. I keep going over the details and have seen the bird relatively close (such as in my hands) and also at about 12 feet and also in a scope and I keep coming back to Philadelphia Vireo. The only reason I keep qu
 estioning it is because of the date. I agree, it is unusual.? Ronnie is a very good birder and she thinks it is a vireo.?We? may have some other local birders coming to try to see it also.? I certainly want to make sure it is the correct call.? Thanks Jen.

Shari and Ronnie