OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:09:19 -0500
The saga of the vireo continues (made it through another very cold night). We did manage to get some pics of much greater quality. Ronnie set up a blind near the birds favorite Arrowwood. Kent Miller and Bob and Denise Lane were here also to observe the bird. I had thought from a distance that the bird had more yellow underneath than it appears in the pictures. Maybe it was the lighting. Looking at structure, size, and appearance of tail length, possible dark remiges, the contrasting gray head and greenish back I thought it looked more like a Philadelphia, however when it comes to other plumages characteristics it does have a Warbling Vireo appearance. So a couple of us are leaning towards Warbling and a couple of us are leaning toward Philadelphia. We have picked out five pictures that show the bird from most angles the best. We have been trying to put them on the OOS Forum , but neither of us has done this before and have not been successful. So we are going to try to attac
 h them here. As I have said before, Ronnie and I do not have a whole lot of experience with the Philadelphia. The lores not seeming very dark is a problem. So here goes. All you vireo experts out there please weigh in.
Also today we had what looked like a first year female Pine Warbler which kindly appeared while Kent and the Lanes were here. The Northern Shrike did not show up here.

Shari and Ronnie