OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 18:59:16 -0600
As originally reported by Bill Stanley on the Cincinnati Birds web site
on Friday and as Donald Morse noted today, a second winter GLAUCOUS GULL
has been seen at the lake at East Fork SP in Clermont County, SW Ohio.
Bill originally spotted the bird on the north side of the lake.  I,
along with Bill, Donald, and the rest of the CBC bird walk participants,
saw this bird on the south swimming beach this morning.  It was first
observed loafing on the beach with the resident Ring-billed and
Bonaparte's gulls, then obligingly flew over and sat next to a Herring
Gull.  It was larger than the Herring, with pink legs and a pink bill
with a black spot at the tip.  It was white-winged, white all over, but
with good lighting, faint "speckles" were noted on the body.  The black
bill tip, instead of red, lack of a mantle, and faint speckling pattern
led me to age this gull as I have.  I would appreciate any corrections,
as gulls aren't my strong suit, and this is my first Glaucous.

Other good birds today include more Cedar Waxwings than I have ever seen
in one place before (50+), several Purple Finches,  my FOS American Tree
Sparrows, a M:F pair of Belted Kingfishers, a Common Loon, and several
Horned Grebes.

~Kathi Hutton
SW Ohio