OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Dan Gesualdo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:49:37 EST
Hi All,
A full day of birding today was very rewarding. Started at Burke, worked
east and then south to Ladue, West Woods, Jackson Field. Partial list:

Burke:
1 Snowy owl, 4 Snow Buntings, 19 Horned Lark, 1 Red-tailed hawk, 1
Rough-legged

Headlands: Quick trip - but lots of you guys on the break wall will have
plenty of info.
1 Purple Sandpiper on break wall. I sat on the rocks and it came within 8
feet of me. Lots of pics.
 Lots of Junco's and sparrows in the lots. 3 Robins and Tons of Ring
billed/Bonaparte's in harbor. 1 Black-backed in the water, 1 Downy near  concessions

LaDue: This was accidental as I just happened to be driving on 44 and
thought I would check it out.
8 Sandhill Cranes along the western road off of Washington parallel to  44,
5 pie-billed grebes, lots of coots, N. Shovelers, Canada's, Mallards,
buffleheads, red breasted mergs, hooded mergs, 5 Great Blues on opposite side of  44.
One fly by bald eagle adult, 3 red-taileds.

West Woods Metropark: This was a new stop as well. Their feeders at the
nature center were packed with chickadees, titmice, goldfinches, and house
sparrows, also a downy and hairy woodpecker. 2 BEAUTIFUL red shouldered hawks in  a
tree near the exit were the highlight.

Jackson Field was the last stop.
I Pileated woodpecker, 2 downy, 1 hairy, 2 red bellied woodpeckers, 1
kingfisher along the river. one owl-it flew up out of the field and into the  pines
but I could not relocate it, looked about the size of a long-eared to me.

Good birding all,
Dan G.
Solon