OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:01:53 -0500
The Vireo was seen off and on all day today and all who came got to see it and some got pictures. I would have to say Jen Brumfield ended up with the best show. It was feeding, flying up into the trees, moving from bush to bush, drinking at the pond (we have a heater) and giving us a good time.
At about 15:00 it seemed that no one else was coming so we decided to get out of the house and drive around the local countryside and see what we could see. We wanted to see if we could find the Northern Shrike that visited our yard two days ago and also look for Snow Buntings and Longspurs. We didn't find any of those, but we did find an adult intermediate morph (also called rufous morph in some?field guides) Red-tailed Hawk.?It had a very rufous chest (maybe not quite as dark as the drawing in Sibley) and a very extensive very dark belly band. I don't know how often these are seen in the east but I can't personally remember seeing one around here. It was getting close to dusk so?it might not be quite as dark as it appeared to us. In any case it was not an eastern Red-tail.?
I think I need to be off work more. This has been a fun week. It makes me wonder how many birds would be seen if all?birders didn't have to work.?
Also I want to mention that we will not be here?during the day Monday through Thursday (we will?look for it?on Thursday morning?before taking off ).?Tomorrow through Wednesday the earliest I can be home is 15:30. It is fine with us if anyone wants to try to see the vireo while we are at work. You can?walk around the property. There is a little (two person?) blind at the back of the house directly across from the bush it has been frequenting the most. ?There is a weedy-brushy field on the north side of the house where it may also visit. There are a few young Arrowwood bushes with some berries out close to the white pines. Sometimes it sits up in the big trees, visits other small shrubs. It gets around. We think it may roost in the pines. Good luck. Let us know if you see it.

Shari and Ronnie