OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:39:06 -0500
The interesting part of watching the lake is you never know what each day
will be like.  It is amazing the differences one day to the next.  Today was
much different from yesterday.  there was still an excellent diversity of
gulls and waterfowl, but the mix was much different today.  Yesterday there
were 1,770 ring-billed gulls and only 146 Bonaparte's.  Today there were
only 136 ring-billed gulls but 6,871 Bonaparte's gulls.  Included in all of
the Bonaparte's gulls today were 1 black-headed gull, 2 little gulls, and 1
Franklin's gull; all adults.  There were few herring and great black-backed
gulls today.  Yesterday I had 11 scoters mixed in with the 756 red-breasted
mergansers.  Today no scoters and 1772 mergansers.  I did have 2 long-tailed
ducks.  They were flying by themselves.  I also had 38 common goldeneye.
Typically the goldeneye don't pass by in numbers until later in December.

I also had 300+ pine siskins moving west along the lakefront.  There was one
flock in excess of 180 birds.  They went by in very loose flocks which made
it difficult to watch for crossbills or anything else.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
November 23, 2008, 700-930
Weather- mostly sunny