OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:34:52 -0800
Today I had good luck again in eastern Mahoning Co.  First I visited Evans L.  It has little ice.  Plenty of waterbirds:  Canada geese, 50 mallards, 9 gadwall, 2 n. pintails, 6 n. shovelers, 3 lesser scaup, 3 buffleheads, c. goldeneye, 130 hooded mergansers, 2 common mergansers, 250 ruddy ducks, common loon, horned grebe, pied-billed grebes, 40 Am. coots, 5 Bonaparte's gulls, 400+ ring-billed gulls, and 75 herring gulls.  Next stop down at Pine L.  Here I was unpleasantly surprised to find almost all water frozen.  The one big open spot had a nice concentration of fowl:  200 Canada geese, 2 "blue" snow geese, 21 tundra swans, 30 mallards, Am. black ducks, and 5 hooded mergansers.  Also in the area were a bald eagle, more ring-billed gulls, 4 herring gulls, and hairy woodpecker.  Between these two lakes there were at least 500 Am. crows; hundreds more are a conspicuous sight in Poland Twp. every day now.  There is a large landfill/dump in
 southern Poland Twp. which attracts good numbers of ring-billed gulls and crows.  I think I'm starting to get a handle on their local movements around here.  I've seen hundreds of crows in Struthers, Boardman, and Coitsville before too, so I have to wonder how many are in this part of Mahoning Co.  Around home here in Poland Twp. the last couple days I managed to find red-tailed hawks, yellow-bellied sapsucker, n. flicker, red-bellied woodpeckers, dark-eyed juncos, Am. tree sparrows, song sparrows, white-throated sparrows, brown-headed cowbirds, and Am. goldfinches.  I didn't see a single robin today.  Later, Craig