OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:46:45 -0500
Burke Lakefront Airport was the spot to be for raptors this morning. Susan
Jones and I, along with a number of others, watched the Snowy Owl as it paid
little or no attention to the airplanes moving within a few feet of its
position at the end of the runway.
In addition to the visitor from the north, a female Northern Harrier worked
the high weeds behind the owl. We also had two American Kestrels on the wires.
The coolest sight was the appearance of a mature Bald Eagle, Thanksgiving
dinner in its talons. It circled above us, shredding the bird, finally
landing in the grass at the east end of the airport. It appeared to be
resting and pecked at its meal only a couple times before laboring off to
the east. We could not determine what the species-in-talon was, larger than
a pigeon, but smaller than a bread box.

Clyde
www.mywittsend.blogspot.com