OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:10:03 -0500
Fellow Ohio birders,

     It was 29 years ago on Thanksgiving weekend that I made the big move
from the city (Columbus) to the country (Perry County). I went from 1/4 acre
to 60 acres, which is , of course, 240 times more land!!  It was hard not to
notice that there were a whole lot more birds out here in the woods on this
old "farm".  Next thing you know I had 160 "yard" birds.

     One of the traditions for at least 20 of those years has been to grab
the binoculars, a hammer and some nails, and about a dozen NO HUNTING signs
and walk the perimeter of the property with how ever many dogs I happened to
have at the time.  I always hope to find a turkey, and have a few times, but
with nine dogs this year, that wasn't  likely.  I did get a good look at a
Pileated woodpecker, Red tailed hawk, Great blue heron, lots of sparrows,
jays and goldfinches.  Even when birding is not the primary objective, it's
still a part of every thing you do out here.

     As always, it was quite an enjoyable walk.  It's a job I look forward
to each year.  Even with close to 300 signs up by now, I'm sure I'll look
forward to it next year, as well.

     By the way, when we got back, we enjoyed another tradition, a turkey
sandwich, with mashed potatos, gravy,  etc.  I  noticed that 4 of the 7
things on the plate were from my own garden or the orchard.  Life in the
woods has been good.

Happy Thanksgiving
Joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio