OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:22:45 -0500
Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I am very thankful for having had the opportunity to live at Pickerington
Ponds Metro Park for the past 4.5 years.  Over the years I've had all three
of our "regular" owls in my yard; my Thanksgiving owls tonight were two -
possibly three - great horned owls that were surrounding my house around
7:00 p.m. and hooting back and forth for a good 15 minutes!  These are most
likely the owls that have nested on the south side of Ellis Pond in the
heron rookery for years.  One sounded as if it were coming from that
direction, the other one (or two?) was west of there, near the big house on
the hill and towards the main parking lot for the park.

Go to http://www.metroparks.net for directions to Pickerington Ponds, in the
southeast part of the Columbus area.

Still no Pine Siskins here, or at Slate Run Metro Park where I work!  Aaagh!
I am eagerly awaiting their arrival, as I've been reading about everyone
else's delights in seeing the siskins.  However, there were huge flocks of
Robins, Starlings, and many Flickers in my yard all day today.

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving.  We can all be thankful for a
wonderful birding community here in central Ohio!

Andrea Haslage
Pickerington, Ohio
Naturalist, Slate Run Metro Park