OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:34:12 -0800
Birders-

For what I understand, it is completely legal to hunt Harlequin Ducks in Ohio and the hunter didn’t break any laws. I do agree on the other hand that this guy is probably keeping an eye on this listserv and isn’t using very good hunting ethics. I’m not against hunting at all but disagree with shooting ducks not in flight as well as at close range. Where’s the challenge anyways?

The eastern breeding population of Harlequin Ducks only consists of a few thousand individuals. The Atlantic Flyway states as well as eastern Canada don’t allow the hunting of ‘eastern’ Harlequin Ducks as I read it. I think the Mississippi Flyway should follow that regulation…

Ethan Kistler
Newton Falls, Ohio