OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:24:03 -0500
Antsy over all of the White winged crossbill reports on the listserv, I decided to check Oak Hill cemetery on the Southwestern edge of Upper Sandusky this afternoon.

I've always anticipated crossbills here due to the fact that there are 10 mature hemlock trees in the cemetery. This seems like the year to check ALL hemlocks due to this apparent invasion.

As soon as I parked on the south edge of the cemetery by 2 medium sized hemlocks, I spotted a bird that was feeding on hemlock cones....a beautiful male White winged crossbill! Soon I was watching a variety of crossbills, 43 in all, feeding in the 2 trees. The flock consisted of a 50-50 mix of males and females.

This is the most white winged crossbills that I have ever seen in Ohio, the most seen since the Toledo Woodlawn cemetery days back in 1981.

These birds are vocal, tame, and easily approachable.

To reach the cemetery, take SR67 west out of Upper Sandusky to CH119. Turn left here and enter the cemetery to the left at the first curve. Take the cemetery to the south edge where there is a marked parking spot. The birds were in the hemlocks just to the west of the parking area.

An amusing sighting last evening was a short eared owl at the Hardin Co. wetland dive bombing a plastic great horned owl decoy in the caretakers driveway! It must of been realistic because the short eared would'nt stop tapping it on the head!

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.