OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:06:48 -0500
A group of us took a pelagic trip this afternoon in Cleveland.  We were
aboard the Holiday.  The Holiday takes Brown's fans up the Cuyahoga River
and drops them off at the stadium and then picks them up after the game.
Bob Faber (Many thanks Bob) arranged to have the captain take the boat out
along the breakwalls and out on the open water from the time between drop
off and pick up of the Browns fans (12:15-4:15).  It was a lot of fun, we
saw some great birds and got to see Cleveland from a different perspective.

Here are some of the highlights:
1 Harlequin duck- this bird was seen a bit west of Wildwood park on the open
lake
54 Black-crowned night-herons along the Cuyahoga River roost
1 Peregrine falcon- near the terminal tower
1 Merlin- one was seen flying from Dike 14 out to the outer breakwall
4 Lesser black-backed gulls- 3 adults and 1 1st winter bird along various
spots along the Cleveland breakwall
1 Snowy owl- a juvenile male was seen along the rocks at the extreme
northwest corner of the airport.

We saw  relatively low numbers of waterfowl which was par for the weekend.
Waterfowl seen were Canada goose, American black duck, mallard, Canvasback,
lesser scaup, harlequin duck, bufflehead, common merganser, red-breasted
merganser, ruddy duck, horned grebe, and double-crested cormorant

There were large numbers of ring-billed and Bonaparte's gulls with lesser
numbers of herrings and great black-backed gulls.  I'm sure there were some
different gulls there, we just couldn't find them..

Again many thanks to Bob Faber for setting this up, to the crew of the
Holiday for their hospitality, and to the other birders aboard and their
observations.

If I am forgetting anything, please add it.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751