OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
"Shaw, Allison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shaw, Allison
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:15:20 -0500
We have a confirmed sighting of a hen long-tailed duck on 11-acre
Schrock Lake at Sharon Woods Metro Park (north of Columbus) Has been
here over 24 hours. Non-breeding plumage, bird has been diving a lot so
be patient when looking for it. She has been mostly hanging out on the
east side of the lake. Schrock Lake's water level is extremely low and
may be 11 feet at the deepest!

For your mapquesting purposes, Sharon Woods Metro Park is located at:
6911 S. Cleveland Ave.
Westerville, OH 43081

The park north of I-270 off of Cleveland Ave. North exit. Through
Schrock Road intersection (CVS and Speedway) and turn left into the
park. It's just across from St. Ann's Hospital.

Keep on the main park road until you reach Schrock Lake on the right.
Bird is best viewed from the east dock (dock to the right hand side as
you are looking at the lake)

Map of the park:
http://www.metroparks.net/MapSharonWoods.aspx

Metro Parks information:
www.metroparks.net

Thanks to Bruce Simpson for confirming this sighting!

Allison Shaw
Sharon Woods naturalist