OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:30:53 -0800
Hello all,
     The North Chagrin Reservation/Park Cackling Goose, reported last week, was still there this afternoon between 3:30 PM and 4:00 PM. To get there, take Exit 36 (Wilson-Mills Rd) off I-271, which runs E, then N of downtown Cleveland. After taking this exit, turn E and continue 2 traffic lights to S.O.M. Center Rd. Turn left (N) here and in about a mile or less you'll see the entrance roadway to Whitehaven Memorial Cemetery on your right. Canada geese were pretty widely scattered and feeding throughout the cemetery, but it didn't take too long to spot the Cackler which is less that half the size of the Canadas. The earlier post (about a week ago) mentioned that the geese are at the N Chagrin Park early in the mornings (at/near a lake/pond?) and then fly to the cemetery to feed. The Park is only 1/2 mile or so north of the cemetery, along the E side Center Road.
     Although this sighting has not yet been posted to Ohiobirds, I have received word via Brad Sparks that there is a Snowy Owl being seen at the Burke Lakefront Airport which can best be viewed from along the access road, W of the 55th St. exit.
     Birding along the lakefront could be very good this weekend. Best of luck!

Dan Sanders
Columbus, OH