OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:45:30 -0500
Greetings from the edge of Ohio,

Well, it was bound to happen, if only by chance:  After the Cackling Goose has been spotted almost everywhere in Ohio, a few of them turned up in  what we call the Kauser Wetlands in Paulding County.  We saw three of the little guys swimming about with their larger Canadian cousins and one very odd bird.  This bird turned out to be a BARNACLE GOOSE, yes, a Barnacle Goose!  Now before any of you wise old birders start chuckling, I must point out that we are well aware that this is 99.75% likely to be an escaped bird, but the plumage was still unmistakable and is the only one we have ever seen. [Can we count him, Bill?]  Apparently no one told this bird that he should have stayed in captivity; as far as he knew, he was just as wild as his fellow geese.

For those mildly interested, Kauser Wetlands is located  just south of Flat Rock Creek about 1/4 mile south of State Route 500 on the west side of County Road 87 in Paulding Township.  We know that the Cackling Geese have been around a few days as we saw one of them in a flock on the same pond last Wednesday.

Rarities have been few and far between out here in the 'tundra,' so we takes what we can get.

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.