OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:58:37 +0000
Greetings birders -

My father, Dave Brumfield, and I hit the lakefront this morning particularly hoping for the Snowy Owl at Burke Lakefront Airport. We scoured the entire public view of the airport and came up emtpy, but to reiterate what Gabe Leidy posted earlier: "the security guard reported seeing it at the west end of the airport both Thurs and Fri".

Here's a rundown on highlights.

Burke Lakefront Airport
American Kestrel - 3
Rough-legged Hawk - 1

East 55th Marina
Bonaparte's Gull - 700+

Sim's Park (Euclid)
Black Scoter - 16
Surf Scoter - 4
Lesser Scaup - 7
Bufflehead - 6
Horned Grebe - 13
Common Loon - 1
Red-breasted Merganser - 600+
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 1 adult basic, one 3rd year bird in the massive merganser/gull fishing horde offshore

Whitehaven Memorial Park/Cemetery (SOM Center Rd)
Cackling Goose - 1; quite cute

Wendy Park/Whiskey Island
Bonaparte's Gull - 1000+
Little Gull - one 1st year bird (nice dark "M" pattern on back)
- Alas, we couldn't catch up with Gabe's Black-headed Gull which he had spotted earlier

Great day on the lakefront!
best of birding -
Jen

Jen Brumfield