OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
"Allen T. Chartier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen T. Chartier
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 16:50:25 -0500
Willis,

In Michigan, Cliff Swallows are one of the earlier swallows to depart,
mostly by mid-September, but we do have rare records into November. So Cliff
and Cave Swallows should not often be a problem ID in November. But several
field guides show quite well that the majority of Cave Swallows have pale
rufous or buffy throats while Cliff Swallows have deep chestnut or blackish
throats depending on the age of the bird. So, Cliff Swallows should show
dark throats and Cave Swallows pale throats. But, Tree Swallow is
potenitally possible to confuse with Cave Swallow in brief or poor views, as
they are white below but similar in shape to both Cliff and Cave Swallows.
Look for the bright buffy or rufous rump.

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan, USA
Website: www.amazilia.net
HummerNet: www.amazilia.net/MIHummerNet
Blog: http://mihummingbirdguy.blogspot.com
Every day, the hummingbird eats its own weight in food.
You may wonder how it weighs the food.
It doesn't. It just eats another hummingbird.
-- Steven Wright