OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:35:46 -0500
First of all, I advise readers to heed the premonitions of Roger
Troutman, the dean of Ohio CBC recorders. There will be more siskins,
and we will probably notice nesting next spring.
        As far as I know--not all that far--females can vary so much from males
as to show no yellow in the plumage at rest. Sibley shows the extreme of
this variation. I believe females retain reduced yellow in the spread
wings either way, though. And birds of the year closely resemble adults
at this time of year, as near as I can tell from references.*
        Folks who host siskins at their feeders may want to read the charming
accounts in A. C. Bent's account, where siskins are described accepting
invitations to eat and roost inside houses, etc.: see
http://www.birdzilla.com/omnibus.asp?strType=Bent&strTitle=Pine+Siskin&strURL=pine_siskin.html
Bill Whan
Columbus
* I attach an article on siskin molt, but probably only Roger will get
the hot link: it's elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/v047n04/p0306-p0309.pdf

Roger Troutman wrote:

 > Hello all,
 >
 > This a.m., I observed for the first time this season, a single Pine
Siskin
 > at my thistle feeder - in company with my "resident" dozen or so
 > goldfinches. In and of itself this is not an unexpected observation -
Gary