OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:47:13 -0400
On the suggestion of Adam Valencic, I took a trip up to Sandy Ridge.  I was going to hit a couple of other spots on the way back but I started late and had too much fun over at Sandy Ridge that I ran out of time.  There were many birders out there today as well as a scout troop out on  a hike...birds didn't really mind all of those loud little grass hopper chasing birders ;-).

After getting over the AWESOME fall colors going on up that way, I went to work lugging a camera around the wetland...

I saw several types of Ducks there; Tons of Mallards, ~10 Green wing teals, ~15-20 Shovelers, 5 Ruddys, 18 Coots that were so close that I could reach out and grab them.

Sparrows included Swamp, Tree, and Song..too many to count.

1 Male Kingfisher
1 very patient GBH
1 equally patient Red Tailed Hawk
2 Eagles 1 was not quite an adult...still some brown on the head.
6-8 Bluebirds
1`Red Bellied Woodpecker posing like an Eagle..nose up in the air
2 Flickers
Downy's  were everywhere...literally everywhere there were trees there was at least one Downy, probably 18 to 20 total.
4 Golden Crowned Kinglets
1 Phoebe
1 Dark Eyed Junco
Ten or so Titmice
and 4 of my favorite nuthatches at the feeders by the office.

Some warblers went through as well I was only able to see one for just a few seconds, not sure of the species...could have been a Nashville..grey head, yellow body, in a shrub with berries..and then it was gone, back up into the oak trees that had stunning red foliage. :-)

----

On the way back I got as close as I ever want to get to a Politician.  I was on 75 going south, Biden was heading North in his Black bus with what seemed like the entire Ohio Highway Patrol providing concert style mood lighting.

----

Due to my route, I finally found a place to eat as I got near Findly that wasn't a grease trap or Fast food.  And If you are on 75 heading up or down, take exit 161 and stop in at the Dark Horse Restaurant. From the road it doesn't look like anything, but the food was excellent, and the wait staff deserved more than the 20% tip that I could afford to give.

One of these days, I've got to start a food guide  for birders blog or thread or something.:-)

Anyhew,

Happy Birding and God Bless.

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)

Genesis 1.20

And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."