OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:21:57 EST
Today Kevin Hall joined me to provide help replacing nest boxes destroyed  by
the wind storm earlier this year. Kevin earned his stripes as he put in a
full day going over hill and dale to some difficult locations. Together we
managed to install 24 nest boxes, 8 each in Area N, along Old Sunbury Road, and
the fun stop, the back recesses of Twin Bridges. With the help of Kevin, Bill
Heck, Al Lasala, and Adam Cirone in the field, and the unsung heroes that
secured the cedar wood (Darlene Sillick), cut the kits (Charlie Zepp), and
assembled the nest boxes (Ralph Windsor), the nest box trail is about 95 percent
back up to snuff. My very sincere thanks to each of them.

Now, birds - While Kevin and I were working we did keep an eye out for
birds. Things were slow (our hammering, etc. didn't help) but we did have some
good birds. These included multiple Pileated Woodpeckers, a Rough-legged Hawk,
Swamp Sparrow, Eastern Phoebe and Purple Finches, including a beautifully
colored male that must have a Hollywood Actor's Card. He perched in the sunlight
and calmly fed on seeds while we watched him for about 15 minutes. He was
still  there when we continued on. The list of species observed includes:

Great Blue Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Wood Duck    - several handsome males at Mudhen  Marsh
Mallard
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Red-tailed Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk    - soaring over the open areas  on the north side of
Mudhen Marsh
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker    - multiple individuals at Twin  Bridges
Eastern Phoebe    - Mudhen Marsh
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Purple Finch    - several near trail at Mudhen  Marsh
House Finch
American Goldfinch

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve