OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Kathy Mock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:39:24 -0500
Attached to my house, between the main structure and the garage, is a
permanent screened room with a latching door.  The screen in it is
several decades old and a bit brittle, no doubt.

Of course, it's getting dark now by the time I get home from work.

I came home from work this evening to hear something hitting the screen
from inside when I walked past. What I found was a glaring adult
Cooper's Hawk in the screened room and a Cooper's Hawk-sized hole in the
screen.  Fortunately, the size of the hole doesn't include its wingspan.

I propped the door open and after ushering the apparently unhurt hawk
out, it flew across the street in enough remaining light to find a good
tree for the night.

Part of the "ambiance" of the screened room is a Great Horned Owl decoy.
Wonder how much that contributed to the hawk's dour attitude?  Nothing
like ensuring that my guests enjoy their visits!

Kathy Mock
Barberton, OH
near Akron

"Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change
color and fall from the trees." -- David Letterman