OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:57:01 -0500
On Sunday December 7, 2008, Annie Parker reported 230 tundra swans between
the back of the Perry's Victory Monument and the reef off Chapman Road on
South Bass Island. Since then more ice has formed on the shore and the swans
have moved to the far east point of the island.
On Thursday, December 11, 2008, Lorin Swinehart counted 120 tundra swans
feeding in the shallow waters off of the Scheef East Point Nature Preserve
on the far eastern end of the island. I took a walk around Buckeye Point and
found a purple sandpiper! The two snow geese reported earlier in the week by
Paul Ladd were not found.
Also present were
Double-crested cormorant-1
Scaup-xxx
Common Goldeneyes-xx
Mallards-xx
Black Ducks-x
Bufflehead-xx
Common Mergansers-xx
There have been lots of brown creepers and golden-crowned kinglets on the
island the last few days. Heard and saw carolina wrens in several locations.
Lisa Brohl