OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
"Allen T. Chartier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen T. Chartier
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:03:58 -0500
Matt,

Even before I looked at your photos, I suspected Cooper's since I've never
seen a Sharp-shinned take a squirrel.

The bird in your photos has the pale nape, dark cap, and pointed rear crown
(almost crested) typical of Cooper's Hawk. It looks small compared with the
squirrel, so I'd say it is a male, and the spotted/streaked underparts
indicate an immature.

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan, USA
Website: www.amazilia.net
HummerNet: www.amazilia.net/MIHummerNet
Blog: http://mihummingbirdguy.blogspot.com
Every day, the hummingbird eats its own weight in food.
You may wonder how it weighs the food.
It doesn't. It just eats another hummingbird.
-- Steven Wright