OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:28:07 -0500
Good morning,

Large numbers of Canada Geese have been gathering in fields and ponds in the
area of southwest Hilliard, as in years past.  I've been keeping an eye out
for Cackling, White-fronted, and Snow Geese, but nothing so far....until
this morning.  My wife, who is not a birder, NOW tells me that YESTERDAY she
saw what she describes as an "all-white goose flying with some Canada Geese,
about the same size and flying the same way as the Canadas." She did not
notice black in the wings, but that's not necessarily a dominant feature to
someone who doesn't know what field marks to pay attention to.  We had a
Snow Goose in the immediate area on Christmas Day last year, so another one
would not be totally unexpected around now.

So if you live in the area, you might want to keep your eyes peeled.  The
biggest flocks of Canadas I've seen seem to prefer the cornfields around
Alton & Darby Cr. Rd intersecting with Roberts Rd.

Happy holidays,

Nate Nye, Hilliard