OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:54:34 -0500
The juvenile Pomarine Jaeger discovered earlier in the week continued today just off the pier at Miller Road Park just west of the Avon Lake Power Plant.  As described in earlier posts, the bird stayed very close to shore and was, at times, within 50 yards of the end of the pier allowing spectacular scope views while it rested in the water.  I watched the bird for about an hour and a half and it spent 90% of it's time on the water.  It typically flew only if harassed by gulls.  As others mentioned, the close proximity of the bird allowed for easy study.

The gull numbers were up today although temps had climbed from earlier in the week (an intermittent rain negated some of the relief provided by the warmer air).  I'd guess there were 800-1000 gulls with Ring-billeds the most common followed by Herrings and Great Black-backeds.  I confess to being a bit myopic in my birding today and did not observe any rarer gulls.  A pair of Mallards and a female Red-breasted Merganser were both in the water near the Jaeger.

Good birding!

Tim Colborn
North Olmsted, Ohio