OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:44:36 -0500
Good questions, Craig, and an endless source of debate. I've come to dread being asked about certain pronunciations!

When trying to ascertain the correct pronunciation of a name, it can be helpful to go back to the root of the word in question. In the case of Sabine's Gull, the bird was named for naturalist Edward Sabine, who collected it for the first time, and for whom the gull is named. So, this matter is straightforward: the gull's name should be pronounced as would the Sabine family name. And as I understand it, that is Sab-ine (the first syllable rhyming with crab; the second with fine).

Pileated Woodpecker is straightforward, too, although one wouldn't think so to hear all of the different pronunciations amongst birders. But the jumbo woodpecker's name stems from "pileum", which means "cap" and refers to the woodpecker's crest. "Pileum" is pronounced "Py-lee-um" (The first syllable rhyming with pie). So, the woodpecker's name is Py-lee-ate-ed Woodpecker.

Of course, not all will agree with this!

Jim

Jim McCormac
Ohio Division of Wildlife
2045 Morse Rd., G-3