OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:42:45 -0500
The Lake erie Islands Christmas Bird Count was held this past Sunday, December 14.  Conditions were windy with occasional rain showers.  Despite the weather conditions there were a lot of birds around.  We ended up adding four new species for the count.  Exciting was a count of 5 jaegers, 1 parasitic and 4 pomarine, a blue-winged teal, and a bluegray gnatcher.  There were probably 30,000 gulls offshore feeding throughout the day.  You could tell they were mainly herring and ring-billed, but they were too far out for looking for any of the others.  All of the results are not in, but our total so far is 81 species with an additional 2 count week birds.  Highlights were BLUE-WINGED TEAL- 1 bird that was injured (new for the count), BLACK SCOTER-5, LONG-TAILED DUCK- 14, PURPLE SANDPIPER- count week, KUMLIEN'S GULL- count week, PARASITIC JAEGER- 1 (new for the count), POMARINE JAEGER_-4 (new for the count), BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER- 1 (new for the count), YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER- 1, HERMIT THRUSH- 12.

John Pogacnik