OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:10:30 -0500
We learned first-hand about the lousy conditions around Sandusky.  After
seeing the Jaeger at Avon we ventured to Castalia to see what waterfowl were
in the lake 'downtown'.  Along the way the temperature kept dropping
(according to the car thermometer) and the ice turned Rt. 2 into an ice
rink.  Cars were sliding off the road, some rolling over (how fast were they
going??) and others just stuck down in the ditches.  At least 4 accident
scenes with emergency vehicles between Westlake and Rt. 4 in Sandusky.  Ice
was everywhere on the roads and trees.  It was good that they cancelled the
CBC.  I'm sure it prevented some accidents.

At Castalia we saw tons of Canada Geese and lots of Northern Shovelers.
Lesser numbers of Gadwall, American Widgeon, and Mallards.  Not much else.
Perhaps if/when the lake freezes the number of species will increase.

Good Birding,

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH