OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:23:14 -0500
I live in Avon Lake and have made a half dozen trips to the power
plant to see the jaeger with no luck until today.
It was so windy and cold I almost went home discouraged again today.

A man that was there said it seems to reappear about every 45
minutes. We noticed that it flies straight north
of the pier a few hundred yards where it is harder to find and spends
some time out there before coming back in toward the pier.
The bird is very dark. Much darker than the darker gulls. If you have
not seen it yet I suggest waiting in your
car in the parking lot with a view of the end of the pier. Eventually
it will come in close to the pier. When it flies over a gull in the
water
they gulls let out a yelp before it even gets very close. I wonder if
this is instinct or learned behavior. These lake gulls
have probably never seen a jaeger before either.

There were not nearly as many gulls today as in the past week. Most
bird movement was from west to east.

Some hunters were shooting from the break walls by the power plant
and that scared up a lot of gulls
that were right in the discharge stream.  A few ducks flew by that
the hunters shot at
but I could not tell them what they were. The police showed up. It is
illegal to discharge a gun in the city limits
of Avon Lake and I have seen the local paper's police blotter mention
hunters getting cited for shooting from the power plant's break walls.