OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:12:10 EST
Hello!

Sorry for the late post (late night last night) but yesterday I finally had
an opportunity to drive up to Avon Lake to try to see the Pomarine Jaeger.
When I arrived around 2 PM, I met Dan Moser who informed me that the bird was
sitting out on the water just a bit NW of the pier as reported to him by a
couple of departed birders.  Almost immediately, I found the  bird in my scope
and after about 10 minutes, it got up and flew directly at  us.  Upon arriving
near the pier, it flew and swooped in a somewhat  circular manner around us
with the end of the pier as the center point.  At  times, it flew directly over
our heads within 20 feet or so.  It  occasionally would land on the water near
the end of the pier before some gulls  would harass it and it would take
flight again.  A nice gentleman from  Kentucky visiting his daughter in Avon Lake
arrived and was afforded similar  views before I left.

I then drove over to East 72nd Street to try to get an hour or so of  birding
in before dark.  There were a few thousand Bonaparte's Gulls  resting on the
water in a somewhat tight group somewhat segregated from the  other gulls.
From the small bridge over the outlet, I scoped the closer  portion of the
floating flock and within seconds saw a Black-Headed Gull  sticking out like
Rudolph with its cherry-colored beak.  I did not find  Little or other Black-Headed
Gulls within the flock but the majority  of the flock extended out farther
from the shore making identification dubious  at best.  I was not able to locate
any other rarities in a  somewhat quick scan of the other gulls (Ring-Billed,
Herring, Black-Backed) in  the area.  I thought I might have observed a
Thayer's Gull but right as I  was trying to get it in my scope, a jet plane closely
overhead scared up  the flock and I wasn't able to relocate it before dark.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.