OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:27:26 -0500
WOW!
Our CBC was cancelled till Saturday BUT my husband and I took a little trek
along the north shore of Grand Lake St Marys and saw the following:

Horned Larks XXXX Large flocks in almost every field!!
Snow Buntings - Many interspersed with the H-Larks.
Lapland Longspurs - Several amongst the above.

Northern Harriers F were soaring over a field just south of our home.
Redtail Hawks - 5 Some were coupled - sitting in the same tree. A couple
were "hunting"

Canada Geese - Many, many far out on GLSM - too many to count! Probably some
of the flocks that were flying over yesterday!
Mallards - again several.

And at our feeders today, we have a Darkeyed Junco! S/he comes and goes!
The wind has emptied the seed onto the ground and the Mourning Doves, House
Sparrows, House Finches, American Goldfinches cluster about picking it up.
And a Song Sparrow and Tree Sparrow have joined the feast.

We have a Starling that has learned to eat our suet upside down. Last year
he would fly up and peck at it but this year, he has mastered the upside
down feeding.

Oh well, I guess they have to eat also!

Stay warm!! The temp here is 3 degrees!!!
And our fireplace continues to burn too much wood!

Happy Holidaze,

Jill Bowers