OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:44:48 -0500
I was granted the "opportunity" (read made to) to be on first shift for the past two days.  So for once in my life I was able to stop by Big Island before I went home.

I was looking for short eared and I found DOZENS!   I first went to the old ponds and saw a couple flying around and perching on the "stump" of the  tree that is in the first "pond".  There were also harriers there and they were battling the Short eared for territory.

Next I went to the fields behind The School where the containment ponds are, and going down to 95.  I am going to say that there were conservatively 20 Short Eared ,out looking for food.  There was one that was defending it's territory with a lot of screeching and clapping it's wings together.  I though it looked pretty funny seeing the owl flying around and clapping it's wings together. I was also treated to aerial displays of owl style dog fighting to both other Shot Eared and Harriers.

So total I saw

20+ Short eared
5 Harriers
1 tree sparrow
and Several hundred rodents cowering in fear. :-)

If you are looking for Short Eared owls, then show up around 4:30 and be prepared to have fun.