OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 12:42:55 EST
This morning being pleasant, Linda and I checked out Hoover Reservoir to  see
what was around. This turned out to be a good decision. The upper part of
the reservoir, from the Smothers Road Bridge north is mostly iced over with
small areas of open water here and there. The reservoir is open from the bridge
south to the dam. We started at Oxbow Road where we located the first 2 of 11
Bald Eagles for the morning, both of these were immature's standing on the
ice. On the south side of the causeway were about 1,000 Canada Geese, 300+
Mallards, 1 Cackling Goose and 1 Egyptian Goose. The latter is obviously an
escapee, but still an interesting looking bird. Along the feeder stream were 4
Great Blue Herons looking for substance with apparent success. In the brush
along the edge of the road were a mixture of small birds including many
Dark-eyed Junco's, Song Sparrows, a few House Finches and a lone Savannah  Sparrow.

We next began working our way south along the reservoir on Sunbury Road.At
the Baldridge Boat Ramp the water we located 2 more Bald Eagles working  over a
goose carcass, much to the dislike of the other geese on the ice and in  the
opening in the water. This location also had a Mute Swan, 4 white morf Snow
Geese, and more Mallards.

At the Maxtown Boat Launch we located Bald Eagle number 5, about 1,000
Canada Geese, 500 Mallards, 1 Snow Goose and lots of Bonaparte's Gulls.

At the East Walnut Boat Lunch we found another 5 Bald Eagles, 2 full adults
and 3 immature's. The adults were putting on a show with an aerial dance,
talon  to talon. There were 100's of Ring-billed Gulls and about 100 Bonaparte's
Gulls  and 12 Hooded Mergansers.

At Area B, the parking lot just north of the Water Department Maintenance
compound, there was a nice assortment of waterfowl. This included 1,000 or so
Canada Geese, 13 American Black Ducks, 500+ Mallards, 9 Canvasback, 15
Redheads,  27 Lesser Scaup, 21 Common Goldeneye, 50+ Hooded Merganser, 8 Red-breasted
Merganser and 5 Ruddy Duck. We also located another Bald Eagle. Checking the
gulls along the shore we located a few Herring Gulls mixed in with the
endless  accumulation of Ring-billed and Bonaparte's Gulls.

At the dam there were more gulls, Hooded Mergansers, an American Coot,
Canada Geese and Mallards. I didn't get around to checking the spillway for
activity. As we headed back north for home a spotted an all black (from a  distance)
duck with a rapid wing beat, but I didn't get a chance to scope it. A
possible scoter? I listed it as the mystery bird.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.