OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:08:54 -0500
The 62nd Cincinnati Christmas Bird Count was conducted on Sunday December 28th. A breezy but clear and mild day contributed to what was another successful count. We had 132 people take part, 111 in the field and 21 at feeders. Thank you to everyone who participated and contributed to this event.

Our count total stands at 91 species, but Green-winged Teal (5) may be added pending more information. This total is down from last year's record setting number of 94 species, but 91 does tie our third highest all-time number. If Green-winged Teal is accepted, 92 species will tie our second all-time high. We added two new species to our record book, one Orange-crowned Warbler (photographed at a feeder) and a Harris's Sparrow (documented). The Harris's Sparrow was seen on private property where access was granted for the count. It is unlikely that further admittance will be allowed. We also set individual highs for several species and those are noted with an asterisk below. We have only had Chipping Sparrows on this count twice in 25 years and only once in the previous 10 years. This year we had a total of 23, for a new count record. The majority of these birds were seen in two flocks of 12 & 8. All of the sightings were by a number of experienced birders, all of who are well aware of the ID problems with similar species and the rare winter status of this species in Ohio.

Our feeder watcher data has not yet been tabulated and those numbers are not included in the following totals. This report only reflects our field efforts. Our unofficial results:

Canada Goose 1547, Mute Swan 7, Gadwall 5, American Black Duck 42, Mallard 833, Northern Shoveler 57, Northern Pintail 12, Canvasback 55*, Redhead 73*, Ring-necked Duck 74, Greater Scaup 12*, Lesser Scaup 6, Bufflehead 43, Common Goldeneye 9, Hooded Merganser 31, Common Merganser 1, Ruddy Duck 33, Wild Turkey 48, Pied-billed Grebe 14, Great Blue Heron 42, Black Vulture 118, Turkey Vulture 391*, Bald Eagle 2*, Sharp-shinned Hawk 7, Cooper's Hawk 21, accipiter species 2, Red-shouldered Hawk 26, Red-tailed Hawk 117*, buteo species 4, American Kestrel 9, Peregrine Falcon 2* (tied), American Coot 855*, Killdeer 2, Bonaparte's Gull 1, Ring-billed Gull 36, Herring Gull 6, Rock Pigeon 406, Mourning Dove 705, Eastern Screech-Owl 1, Great Horned Owl 7, Barred Owl 1, Short-eared Owl 2, Belted Kingfisher 21, Red-headed Woodpecker 2, Red-bellied Woodpecker 390, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 28, Downy Woodpecker 293, Hairy Woodpecker 50, Northern Flicker 104, Pileated Woodpecker 56, Eastern Phoebe 3, Blue Jay 188, American Crow 1268, Horned Lark 56, Carolina Chickadee 1642, Tufted Titmouse 736, Red-breasted Nuthatch 3, White-breasted Nuthatch 259, Brown Creeper 31, Carolina Wren 363, Winter Wren 9* (tied), Golden-crowned Kinglet 118, Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4, Eastern Bluebird 168, Hermit Thrush 8, American Robin 4507, Northern Mockingbird 102, European Starling 7689, Cedar Waxwing 603, Orange-crowned Warbler 1*, Yellow-rumped Warbler 98, Eastern Towhee 119, American Tree Sparrow 335, Chipping Sparrow 23*, Field Sparrow 109, Savannah Sparrow 40, Fox Sparrow 3, Song Sparrow 924, Swamp Sparrow 71, White-throated Sparrow 761, Harris's Sparrow 1*, White-crowned Sparrow 129, Dark-eyed Junco 399, Northern Cardinal 1255, Red-winged Blackbird 1530, Eastern Meadowlark 11, Common Grackle 5038, Brown-headed Cowbird 520, Purple Finch 25, House Finch 276, Pine Siskin 6, American Goldfinch 685, House Sparrow 481.

Count week species stands at American Wigeon and Green-winged Teal. Other notable misses for this count included Wood Duck, Northern Bobwhite, Northern Harrier, Brown Thrasher and Rusty Blackbird.

Jay Stenger

Compiler

Cincinnati, Ohio